Dear EWHS Music Families and Supporters:
Welcome to the July 2023 edition of the EWHS Music Boosters newsletter. It’s hard to believe, but school is out and summer is finally here. It is with heavy hearts that we bid farewell to our very special group of graduating seniors, but we are excited for the adventures they have ahead and all the fond memories we share.
New Executive Board Elected at June Member Meeting
On June 20th, the Music Boosters voted in our new Executive Board. Thank you to all the members and teachers who attended. We also discussed upcoming events for the summer and coming school year, our comprehensive communications plan, and many other exciting new ideas for our music programs.
New Executive Board:
- President – Jennifer Castle (formerly Acting President)
- Vice President – Shannon Alyea (formerly Secretary)
- Secretary – Keith Grey
- Treasurer – Chan Oeurn
Appointed Board Members (continuing from 22/23):
- Communications Director – Toni Bosman
- Volunteer Coordinator – Rachael Garrett
Please note that many other positions are still open until filled. For more information about our Music Program volunteer needs, visit https://ewhsmusic.com/boosters/volunteers-wanted/
Spring Awards Night
As always, our annual series of Spring Concerts were the highlight of the year. The Awards Concert in particular paid tribute to our talented seniors and several younger students. Whether they were called by name or not, all our music students put in long hours of dedication and commitment throughout their school careers and we honor them all.
- Arion Award – Max Bartron (band), Noah Crosky (orchestra), Lucas Alyea (choir)
- Music Department Leadership Award – Ryan Phan
- Music Department Musicianship Award – Jonah Barnett
- Outstanding Underclassmen – Forrest Aubrey (band), Aidan Stanciu & Jathurson Srikumar (orchestra), Woodland Jarol (choir)
- Director’s Award – Don Tran (band), Audrey Chen (orchestra), Molly Alyea (choir), Jeff Furhman
Most Inspirational Mello-Aire – Lucas Alyea
- Beverly Severnson Most Inspirational Choir Freshman – Kelly Luu
- Louis Armstrong Jazz Band Award – Max Bartron
- Outstanding Wind/Percussion Player in Full Orchestra – Jonah Barnett
Semper Fi/John Philip Sousa Band Award – Andy Chen
- Miles Laven Memorial Scholarships – Ella Cochran & Max Bartron
- Roy Kennelly Music Booster Scholarships – Hailee Park, Matthew Tang, Nick Reinert, Sydney Keay & Katie Kim
Jazz Colony 2023 kicks off on July 11 at 6:00pm in the EWHS Band Room. Please note, this program is for current and incoming EWHS music students only and applications closed on June 5, 2023.
Port of Edmonds – Sea Notes at the Marina
Mary Lou Block Public Plaza – 465 Admiral Way
More information and full schedule at https://www.portofedmonds.org/news/edmonds-events/
Join us down at the Port of Edmonds marina for various musical performances throughout the summer. All are free to attend. Bring a chair and a picnic and enjoy some waterfront tunes!
- Wednesdays 6-8pm: EWHS Jazz Combo Jam
- Select Thursdays 6-8pm: High School Jazz Combos and Big Band
- Fridays 6-8pm: Deep Sea Jazz Jam Sessions
- Saturdays 6-8pm: Saturday Night Guitar with rotating musicians Lito Castro and Ross Robinson
- Sundays 2-4pm: Songwriter’s Sunday
EWHS Music Facebook Account
Our Facebook page is your best source of current information about recent/upcoming events, student achievements, our greater music community, and more. Please look us up under “Edmonds-Woodway Music” or click on our Facebook link.
We are working hard to keep our website as current and relevant as possible. Please note that our site is scheduled to undergo yearly maintenance and updates over the summer, and will be offline for a brief period of time. Schedule will be posted on Facebook once available.
Hope everyone has an awesome summer!